If you’re obsessed with how to get new emojis for your messaging and social media apps, you are not alone. According to this infographic on Entrepreneur.com, six billion emojis are sent worldwide in messaging apps each day.
But what if you just can’t get enough? You see all the cool kids using the latest eggplant emoji on their iPhones and you want to use it too. Here are a few tips on how to get new emojis:
What Are Emojis?
Emojis are fun little pictographs used in messaging apps and on social media to represent things like occupations, facial expressions, foods and more. They are growing in popularity for both personal use and in marketing with new emojis being added all the time. Even the Pope has his own emoji now. Most up to date mobile device keyboards come with their own standard set of thousands of emojis ranging from the popular smiley faces to rain clouds. You can also find additional emojis, both free and paid in a few different ways.
Finding New Emojis on Your Android Phone
If you aren’t satisfied with the emojis on the standard keyboard for your Android phone or there aren’t any, there are ways to get around this. You can easily download Google Keyboard in the Google Play store for free and you’ll have access to not only a great keyboard but some fun emojis. Or download another third party keyboard app like SwiftKey or their all emoji app SwiftMoji, both of which are free with in-app purchases available.
You can also purchase emojis keyboards or packs for 99 cents and up. There are a multitude of choices like pandas, dogs, and Kardashians. Just be warned, not all of the apps are compatible with every social media platform or messenger app. To keep yourself from making a faux pas, check out this article Emoji Meanings before you get yourself too deep.
Finding New Emojis on Your iPhone
Usually, iPhone users are first to try out the newest emojis. In fact, last year, there was an uproar when Android users witnessed iPhone owners getting access to new emojis in an update to IOS 9.1, including a much sought after middle finger emoji, according to an article on BGR.
And now with IOS 10.0, they’ve added or redesigned many of their emojis to be able to include more gender and family options. But if you need more, there are free and paid options in the App store. Just like with Android phones, you can download a third party keyboard like Swype. Check out the article How to Get Emojis on iPhone 6 & IOS 8: 5 Ways for more on adding emojis to your iPhone.
Using Emojis on Snapchat
There are your basic Snapchat emojis in the app that you can use both for photos and videos. One of the fun things that Snapchat has is a set of “friends emojis” that stand for certain things in your contacts. When it’s someone’s birthday and they have that setting turned on, you should see a little birthday cake next to their username.
Another cool thing about Snapchat is using Bitmojis so you can create personalized emojis. You can read more about Bitmojis and Snapchat in this article from August, How to Use Emoji in Snapchat.
Unlocking Even More Emojis
If you like Disney and you like emojis, Disney Emoji Blitz will seem like a match made in heaven. Disney Emoji Blitz is a fun match-3 game that rewards you by unlocking Disney themed emojis for completing a mission.
To really succeed at Disney Emoji Blitz and collect all the emojis you want, you’ll need to play often and well. Here are a few hints if you’re just starting out:
- If you play often, the app rewards you with more coins. Also, log in even if you’re not going to play every 8 hours. You’ll get a free prize to collect which could be more coins, gems or lives.
- While this is a match-3 game, similar to other games like Candy Crush, you’ll get a higher score when you match four or five or even more!
- You can help clear your board by concentrating on the bottom few rows, so that a chain reaction happens.
- Use your character’s special power. If you’re playing with Mickey, keep clearing Mickeys off the board and watch him power up at the bottom of your screen. When the gage is full, you click on the bouncing Mickey and invoke his power which is creating lightening clouds on the board. You’ll want those because they can be used to wipe out an entire row or column and add to your score.
- The higher your score, the more coins you will earn. Be smart with your coins and save them for buying a silver box or gold box. Hold out for a silver box at 15,000 and you’ll collect a new basic emoji or a buy a gold box at 30,000 coins to get a more advanced emoji.
- Hold on to those gems. It’s tempting to skip every mission when you have a lot of gems, but you’ll need gems to buy more coins later. So give each mission a good try before abandoning it.
Once you earn some emojis, you can add them to your emoji blitz keyboard and use them when texting or messaging. Right now there are Disney character emojis from 33 movies as well as other emojis based on Disney parks and objects like the famed “Mickey Bar,” with more to come.
Now that you have a few ideas of how to get new emojis, you can have a lot more fun with your messaging and social media apps. Before you run off to download Disney Emoji Blitz or Snapchat, take this last bit of advice. Remember to check what the emoji means before you hit send, especially to someone you don’t want to insult. Sometimes a smiley face isn’t just a smiley face.