These days most of our life is public and depending on how open you are with information, people from around the world whom you’ve never met can know about you.
So you’ve got two choices, limit your online presence, or embrace it. For those that embrace it, one of the first things that anyone notices about you is your status. Hence, the real question is, What’s your WhatsApp status? If you’re on WhatsApp and can’t answer that, you’re doing it wrong.
But don’t worry, below I will outline tips for coming up with your very own custom, funny, insightful, and memorable status. I’ll also provide a list of the best WhatsApp statuses so you can get some of those ideas flowing. Or you can just copy it straight from here, after all, there are no new ideas, just a repeat of old ideas.
If you’re new to WhatsApp and aren’t sure how to update your status, I can help you with that as well. Let’s first get into the logistics of where to find your status and how to update it.
How To Find And Change Your WhatsApp Status
First, of course you will have to download WhatsApp on your smartphone. WhatsApp is available for iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phones, and a couple Nokia phones. You can download the app on whatever device you have by heading over to the App store or going to the WhatsApp download page and choosing your device.
Now, make sure you set up your profile and go through the registration process by entering in your phone number, etc. To find your WhatsApp status follow these steps:
- In WhatsApp look for the three horizontal dots within a quote bubble with “status” below it. Tap on that. This is for if you have an iPhone. If you have an Android or other devices you will want to find the three dots that indicate the menu. Sometime’s its a physical menu button, which is different on different devices so try a few of them.
- You will see a screen and at the top it will say “your current status is:” and below tap on the box. From there you can enter in your desired status. Remember that the limit is 137 characters and that includes spaces so be quick and concise with your status.
- Now tap save and your WhatsApp status will be updated. You can also use some of the pre programmed statuses below your current one if you choose to.
Note: you can scroll to the bottom and clear status list to wipe away old statuses that you don’t use anymore. Alternatively, they’re saved on your account.
How To View Your Friend’s Status
You can view any one of your friend’s status or anyone that is on your contact list quickly and easily. Make sure first, though, that you add them to your smartphone’s contact list. If they are not on your phone’s contact list then they won’t automatically be synced with your WhatsApp contacts. Once that is done you can view their status.
Simply open the app and tap on the option at the bottom that says “favorites” or “contacts” to see a list of all your contacts who have WhatsApp. Now you will see below their name their current status. You can tap the “i” button to view their profile and see their full status if it gets cut off on the screen.
Also, you can see the last time they changed their status. You will sometimes see a person’s status is “Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.” which is the standard default status. You may see that they haven’t changed it in weeks, months or even years if they don’t really use that option or use WhatsApp regularly. Anyhow, you can see if someone says they are for instance at the movies, when that status was last updated and whether they would still be there or if the movie has likely ended. It can be helpful when finding out what someone is up to.
50 Best WhatsApp Status
Below are the best WhatsApp statuses I’ve seen. Let us know below int he comments if you’ve heard of any other great ones, we’re happy to hear other funny or insightful statuses.
- A Jewish kid asks his dad for five dollars. His dad responds “four dollars?? What are you going to do with three dollars!?”
- A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
- Childhood is like being drunk, everyone remembers what you did, except you
- Did you hear boomerangs are making a comeback?
- Fettucini alfredo is macaroni and cheese for adults.
- Honesty may be the best policy, but it’s important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.
- I am more pissed off than a dragon trying to blow out candles.
- I bought a seven-dollar pen because I always lose pens and I got sick of not caring.
- I came here in peace, seeking gold and slaves.
- I don’t have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who’d be mad at me for saying that.
- I don’t stop eating when I’m full. The meal isn’t over when I’m full. It’s over when I hate myself.
- I have a lot of growing up to do. I realized that the other day inside my fort.
- I have an inferiority complex, but it’s not a very good one.
- I love blackjack. But I’m not addicted to gambling. I’m addicted to sitting in a semi circle.
- I once saw a forklift lift a crate of forks. And it was way to literal for me.
- I remixed a remix, it was back to normal.
- I think Pringles’ original intention was to make tennis balls
- I thought we had this mummy situation under wraps.
- I used to be indecisive but now am not so sure
- I used to play sports. Then I realized you can buy trophies. Now I am good at everything.
- I wanna make a jigsaw puzzle that’s 40,000 pieces. And when you finish it, it says ‘go outside.’
- I was wondering why does a frisbee appear larger the closer it gets…. then it hit me.
- I’m against picketing, but I don’t know how to show it.
- I’m sorry and “I apologize” mean the same thing, except when you’re at a funeral.
- I’m on a whiskey diet…I’ve lost three days already.
- If a quiz is quizzical, then what does that make a test?
- If it wasn’t for physics, I’d be unstoppable
- Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus, or just a really cool Opotamus?
- It’s not that I’m afraid to die, I just don’t want to be there when it happens.
- Love means nothing to a tennis player
- My fake plants died because I forgot to pretend to water them.
- My father was a man of few words, I remember he used to say to me: Son…
- My plumbing is all screwed up. Because it turns out, I do not own a garbage disposal.
- Never make eye contact while eating a banana.
- One time I asked my North Korean friend how was it, he said he couldn’t complain.
- Onions make me sad. A lot of people don’t realize that.
- Only married people understand you can be miserable and happy at the same time.
- Rice is great when you’re hungry and you want 2,000 of something.
- Say what you want about deaf people…
- Shout out to all sidewalks; for keeping me off the streets.
- Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.
- Some people say I’m too vague. But you know how the saying goes
- The New England Journal of Medicine reports that 9 out of 10 doctors agree that 1 out of 10 doctors is an idiot.
- There are only three things women need in life: food, water, and compliments.
- There’s no “I” in Denial
- This shirt is dry clean only. Which means… it’s dirty.
- Warning…I know KARATE…….And few other oriental words.
- Whenever I’m on my computer, I don’t type ‘lol’. I type ‘lqtm’ – laugh quietly to myself. It’s more honest.
- You haven’t experienced awkward until you try to tickle someone who isn’t ticklish
- You know you’re ugly when it comes to a group picture and they hand you the camera.
How To Come Up With A WhatsApp Status
Let’s chat a bit about coming up with your own WhatsApp status if you don’t like any of the ones above or just want to use something original. Keep in mind that it has to be under 139 characters so you can’t write a novel, keep it short and simple. A lot of times a funny status will be memorable so that is always a safe bet.
If you’re having trouble thinking of one, first step is to figure out what style you want to use or what you want to get across. If you want to be funny, check out some of your favorite comedians and see if they have any one liners that you like. You can make a play off of that. Alternatively, you could look up one of your role models and see if they have any quotes. Also, it’s always helpful if you want to do a quick Google search for statuses and you should be able to find literally hundreds of options out there to get you started.
One thing I find is that often times a great idea doesn’t come naturally the first try, you have to try a couple times and fail a couple times until it succeeds. So try a few of them and gauge to see whether your friends like your WhatsApp status. If they do, that’s awesome, if they don’t, keep trying and you’ll get there in no time.
WhatsApp Status Tips
Below I’ll outline some of the best WhatsApp status tips to come up with your own status that will be memorable and make people smile, laugh, think, or cry. If you have your own ideas of what makes a great status feel free to write it down in the comments below so we can share it with everyone and others can get better at writing statuses as well.
- Evoke emotion in your status. No matter what your goal is with the status you want to make sure you write something that evokes emotion from the reader. Often times you will be more likely to remember a funny status that made you laugh as opposed to something random about the person’s day. Keep the reader laughing, crying, feeling joyful or thoughtful. Any emotion will do, but make sure it’s in there.
- Make sure your status is short and hits home quickly. Most people won’t read a status that is a long paragraph. Ideally, you want to keep the status less than a couple sentences. Below you can find a graph from Quicksprout outlining how often a status is shared depending on how long the status is. You can see that the ideal length is somewhere around 200 characters.
- Provide valuable information to your reader when you share a status. Honestly not many people care if you’ve had a great brunch on Sunday, however people are a lot more interested if you share a cool fact, an event happening in your area, or a quote from someone famous. All of these things will provide the reader something tangible from your status.
- Make sure whenever you share your status on WhatsApp it is at an ideal time for people to see it and comment on it. If you post a status at 3am not many people are going to see it and you may have just wasted a great status on a time when there is no one to view it. Typically popular times are from 4pm to 7pm in your local time. Share your status during these times and you will be more likely to attract attention.
- Lastly, remember to be real in your status updates and make sure it’s something that you would want to read. If it’s something that you would read and find helpful, funny, and good then you’ve hit the right mark and are sure to have a lot of successful WhatsApp statuses.
Now you will get a chance to use one of the WhatsApp status one liners above next time you’re on the app. Do you know of any other funny ones or insightful statuses? If so, leave a comment below and let us know. Hopefully we can get a huge list of them so everyone can get great ideas and come up with creative statuses.