Note: This article was originally published on January 30th, 2015. It was updated on May 4th, 2016. Ready on, for new, cute captions!
Memes are a recent revelation, they’ve captured audiences and started social media wildfires. In a large part, their popularity lies in combining a photo with a caption. As a word, meme comes from evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in order to describe the basic unit of imitation.
Genes are for genetics, and memes are for mimetics—the process by which we learn something by copying what’s around us. The memes we’re talking about right now, though, are something a little bit different. This speaks more to our having come to a technological point where we can communicate with images as easily as we can communicate with words.
As the old adage goes, “A picture’s worth a thousand words,”—so think of how well we’re able to communicate (what nuances and specific feelings) now that we can communicate almost entirely with pictures.
It’s a winning combination, and one that will surely boost any post’s popularity. Everyone has that one friend that always posts funny Instagram captions and everyone will comment or like it. Or you have a friend with that little baby girl and she posts cute Instagram photos with captions saying silly things like “Am I in trouble :(” all the time. And then there’s George Takei whose Facebook page is a veritable factory for humorous images and videos.
Well from now on, you can use the tips and tricks below, along with the 197 best captions to make sure you get all of the interest on your account. But first, I’ll walk through some ideas and unique solutions to coming up with your very own quotes. Also, you can browse the list below for even more ideas. Seeing the hilarious things other people have come up with is a great way of jogging some things loose in your own mind, and kicking up ideas for things that you want to say.
And, as always, feel free to share this list, or to add to it in the comments. Memes are living things (hardly surprising considering their connections to biology), so let’s keep this conversation alive!
“I’m always on Instagram! I’m like an Instagram stalker.” – Bella Thorne
Ideas for Funny Instagram Captions
Before we get into the master list of awesomely cute Instagram captions, I want to provide you with a list of some suggestions that will let you come up with your very own quotes. Keep in mind, the tips below are from my experience so, your mileage may very. Also, if you have other tips, please comment below and let us hear them!
1. Creative and unique ideas often come from being around creative and unique people. If you don’t tend to be funny, then just hang around some friends that are. That way, they will start to run off on you and can help you come up with good options. Fortunately, social media frees us up to “hang out” with more people than just those accessible to us in meat space. We can hobnob with celebrities, comedians, or even just that really clever kid you knew in high school but who now lives in Fiji. We’re part of a vast, global conversation. So as you’re putting together your conversational team (which is essentially what all social media is), keep thinking about who is going to make you better.
2. Make sure you try a bunch of different captions or think of a few that would work. The first one that comes to your mind won’t always be the best one so make sure you have a couple in your back pocket to use. For every meme that goes viral because it hits some big idea on the nose just perfectly, there are likely a hundred different drafts and drawing-board plans that either the creator rejected or that just didn’t take off. So don’t feel bad if you’re stuff isn’t going viral right away. This is what is referred to as “survivorship bias.” Basically, since only the best things make it into the larger conversation, that becomes our picture of the entire conversation. We don’t see how many false starts there are, because they don’t survive. And as a result, we tend to judge ourselves very harshly.
3. Remember to make the caption relevant to what is actually in the photo. That means you can’t really come up with a caption without knowing which photo you want to use first.
4. An alternative route is to think of a cute saying and use that to inspire a new photo that would go with the saying. That way, you kind of work backwards.
5. These last two points notwithstanding, sometimes juxtaposition can really work in your favor. This is when there’s a real contrast between your words and images, and this contrast creates a completely different meaning.
6. Lastly, try to include captions on all of your Instagram photos. The more you use them and practice, the more you will likely get better at them and be able to impress your friends.
Funny & Cute Instagram Captions
Now, let’s get into the real reason you came to this site, to read some of the very best Instagram captions from around the web. This is a compilation that will make you laugh out loud and say “awwww” as some of them are super sweet.
If you have any of your own, please comment them in the comments section below. It is interesting to read other people’s ideas.
- I need a six month holiday, twice a year
- If a dentist makes their money from unhealthy teeth, why would I trust a product 4/5 of them recommend?
- How did I get back to my crib last night
- we made it, it’s Friday!
- I read the twilight books
- When I feel a little down, I put on my favorite high heels and dance
- Friday, my second favorite F word
- Women drivers rev my engine
- I like coodies
- Hey, I just met you, this is crazy
- At least this balloon is attracted to me!
- I must destroy you with hugs and kisses
- Stop looking for happiness in the same place you just lost it
- I woke up like this
- Oh you’re a model? What’s your agency, Instagram?
- I will eat just one, I swear
- I liked memes before they were on Instagram
- if a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a ginger bread man?
- If we could only turn back time…
- Keep smiling because life is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
- What if I told you, you can eat without posting it on Instagram
- Thank you for making me feel less alone
- The only F word out a woman’s mouth that scares me is “fine.”
- Crossfit? I play real sports
- A blind man walks into a bar… And a chair… and a table.
- At dawn, we ride
- you are enough
- This seat is taken
- I wasn’t lucky, I deserved it
- I had fun once, it was horrible
- survived another “end of the world” scenario
- Girls be like…
- stop stop, I’m gunna pee
- Hey good lookin, can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?
- Puts selfie on top of tree because I’m the star.
- Is I in trouble?
- I don’t have Ex’s, I have Y’s. Like “Why Did I ever date you?”
- It never rains during the weekend
There may be no excuse for laziness, but I’m still looking.
- Oh, hi there!
- You’re doing it wrong
- Smile 🙂
- Fresher than you
- A little birthday party they said, it’ll be fun they said
- Don’t be like the rest of them, darling
- Girls be like, no makeup!
- Posted pic on Instagram, and she didn’t like it
- I eat my tacos over a Tortilla. That way when stuff falls out, BOOM, another taco.
- We all start as strangers
- I didn’t choose the thug life, the thug life chose me
- I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.
- My only real long term goal is to never end up on Maury.
- girl Ima have to call you back
- Have a seat, we were expecting you
- My diet plan: make all of my best friends cookies; the fatter they get, the thinner I look
- If I die tomorrow, will you remember me
- What if the princess wants to be with Bowser but Mario keeps kidnapping her
- Invite me to play Candy Crush one more time
- How do I put this, you’ll never sleep again
- I love sleep because it’s like a time machine to breakfast
- Teacher knows who my crush is, assigns my seat next to her
- I’m the strong silent typo.
- Syndrome of a down
- Weekend, please don’t leave me.
- Never cry for that person who doesn’t know the value of your tears
- Don’t play dumb with me. That’s a game you can’t win.
- I got back with my Ex…Box 360
- Volleyball is just a really intense version of “don’t let the ball touch the floor”
I’ve finally counted.
- Leave your lover
- Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away
- I hate flying lessons
- A selfie a day keeps the friends away.
- OMG that’s so cute
- I’d like to thank Red Bull, Google, Vodka, and Wikipedia for my graduation
- Buy an iPhone they said, it comes with a map, they said.
- I love you this much
- One does not simply “Let it go”
- Boys are like purses, cute, full of crap, and can always be replaced
- Is Google a boy or a girl? Obviously a girl because it won’t let you finish your sentence wihtout suggesting other ideas
- Can I film you while you sleep? You’re so cute
- Hating me doesn’t make you pretty.
- Friends with a gang of geeks
- Guess what I just did
- Need an ark? I Noah guy.
- On my way to school 🙂
- You’re cute, can I have you?
- I don’t always drink beer, but when I do, call me Beercules
If I was funny, I would have a good Instagram caption
- Friends marathon on Netflix, YES!
- Dear vegetarians, if you’re trying to save animals, then why are you eating their food?
- That moment when you realize it wasn’t a fart
- Some days start better than others
- Live the live you want to, not the one you’re supposed to
- Life is short, false, it’s the longes thing you do
- Broke his heart, then I asked if he was ok?
- Truth is, I’m crazy for you. And everyone can see that but you
- Celery is 95% water and 100% not pizza
- Make milkshakes they said, the boys will come to your yard they said
- Meanwhile at Walmart
- Changed all my passwords to incorrect, then every time I forget my password, it says “your password is incorrect”
- Darwin award goes to…
- So you’re telling me I have a chance
- They see me rollin, they hatin
- Hey girl, I like the way we finish each others, sandwiches
- A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.
- Heart boys who make funny faces when they see you for the first time
- I know, I’m lucky that I’m so cute
- Oh pizza, you understand me so well
- My chocolate chip cookie, is rasin 🙁
- Who’s awesome? You are!
- World’s most annoying couple
- Trying to forget it but the memories are too strong
- Hey girl, feel my sweater. Know what it’s made of? Boyfriend material.
- A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. A dumb person creates it.
- That moment when you realize your childhood is over
- I came here in peace, seeking gold and slaves.
- Walking past a class with your friends in it
I have made a huge mistake
- So, you come here often?
- You only drink diet soda? You must be so healthy
- Who’s that cute person? Oh, I clicked on my profile again
- Don’t worry if you haven’t found your true love, they’re just with someone else right now
- Collect moments, not things
- Boys be like…
- This just gave me another reason why I love this person
- You play Call of Duty? That’s cute.
- A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.
- He went to jared
- Your Kik status says Kik Login Online, if you’re online then why aren’t you texting me
- Help me please, I’m bored
- Deal with it
- Not all girls are made of sugar and spice, and everything nice. Some are made of sarcasm, wine and everything fine
- You think this is a game?
- I just want to cuddle, that’s all I want
- I am an Instagram Caption!
- Best selifie ever
Put your mullet where your mouth is, sir.
- You guys are just so darn cute
- When the bus driver starts driving before you even get to your seat
- When the parents hate it, the kids lvoe it
- If you look in the mirror when your eyes are shut, it’s like watching yourself when you’re asleep
- Being famous on Instagram is like being rich on Monopoly.
- Omg. Look at me. Instagram selfie.
- Being single is smarter than being in the wrong relationship
- They used to shout my name, now they whisper it
- Everytime my phone goes off, I hope it’s you
- I have a lot of growing up to do. I realized that the other day inside my fort.
- Frankly my dear, I don’t Instagram
- I’m not saying it was aliens, but it was Aliens!
- You lost your phone and it’s on silent? Too bad, if you liked it, you should have put a ring on it
- Smash, now what will I Instagram?
- Says he wants to whisper something in your ear, screams!
- You go to school, nothing happens. You miss one day, beyonce shows up unannounced
- Dude, all my friends have birthdays this year
- I can’t go on, will you carry me
- I’m in love with you, and all your little things
- Yea, dating is cool but have you every had stuffed crust pizza?
- I act like I’m ok, but I’m really not
- Started from the bottom now we’re here
- Like a boos
- I don’t always surf the internet, but when I do, eyebrows
- You said everyone would be here
- You keep using that word, I don’t think it means what you think it means.
- I’m on a seafood diet, I see food and I eat it
- Turn the pain into power
- Stay strong, the weekend is coming
- How a woman tells society she is single
The worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades
- Work until your idols become your rivals
- How do you know your girlfriend is getting fat? She fits into your wife’s clothes
- I thought this was America
- Instagram is down, just describe your lunch to me
- I’ll never try to fit in. I was born to STAND OUT.
- I don’t always make sense, but when I do, I don’t
- You gunna eat that?
- Has one night stand, but way too many books to fit on it
- Good morning beautiful! I hope I didn’t wake you and I’m sorry if I did but I just want to tell you that you’re an amazing and beautiful person and I hope you have a great day!
- Hey girl, get back to work
- You should smell my breath
- When Instagram was down, I ran around town shouting “like” at flowers, dogs, and expensive brunches
- So, you’re on Instagram? You must be an amazing photographer
- Give me the chocolate and nobody gets hurt
- I used to have superpowers but the psychiatrist took them away.
- The moment when she says you’re cute
- Lives change like the weather. I hope you remember today is never too late to be brand new.
- I don’t always study, but when I do, I don’t
- Say “Beer Can” with a british accent. I just taught you to say “Bacon” with a Jamaican accent
- Girls be like, caught off guard but still cute
- Free hot dogs and chili, you always pay for them later
- Meanwhile in Russia
- 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
- Onions make me sad. A lot of people don’t realize that
- She just left, I miss her already
- Cute girl walking in front of you. Decrease speed until walking in front of you.
Instagram in 2016 – Still Funny, Still Cute!
We’re back again, and since Instagram is still hot, so are we! While the above captions will elicit no fewer giggles, the following gaggle of jargon and clever references will continue to impress and amuse. More people are using Instagram than ever before. That means more people that you know, more people that you want to know, and more people that want to know you.
If ever there was a time to be clever, it’s right now. Take inspiration from the following captions (or at least a few laughs!) We’ve taken inspiration from your comments, as you’ll see below!
- Nothing says ‘rainy day’ like 50 Shades of Grey!
- Never cry for anyone that doesn’t value your tears.
- Until I saw this, I didn’t know how badly I needed a smile.
- Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re not strong enough. Funny enough. Smart enough.
- I think you’re lacking ‘Vitamin Me.’
- Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.
- Yesterday, I changed my password to ‘HackItIfYouCan.’ Today, someone changed it to ‘ChallengeAccepted.’
- There’s a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair.
- Still looking for happiness in the same place you just lost it.
- I try not to work too many Sunday. At least, not Sunday nights. I like to call them Sunday Fundays.
- Posting lyrics on your status, hoping at least one person will read them and take the hint.
- Single, taken, in a relationship. These are all just terms. Your status is measured by your actions.
- You don’t have to like me. I’m not a Facebook status.
- Lives change like the weather. I hope you remember today is never too late to be brand new.
- The biggest challenge in life is being yourself…in a world trying to make you like everyone else.
- What others think of me is none of my business!
- Get over your selfie, darling!
- My favorite music is your voice. The lyrics always speak right to my heart.
‘Only seventeen, but she walks the streets so mean. It’s alarming, truly, how disarming she can be.’ – Lana Del Rey
- Life is like a balloon. If you don’t let go, you’ll never know how high you can rise.
- You have to love yourself, first, before anyone else can love you.
- ‘Friday’ is my second-favorite F-word!
- We’re each responsible for the beauty we carry with us, ever day.
- Remember: everyone else is just as unique as you.
That wraps up this guide on cute Instagram captions, we hope that you liked it. If you can’t take advantage of the advice here because you forgot your Instagram login information, we can help you out with that.
Please share with your friends if you haven’t already. We guarantee they’ll like it too.