So many social networks, so little time! We all live extremely busy lives. There are a million and one things vying for our attention: family, friends, jobs/studies, vacations, … And then, there’s keeping up with social media!
Instagram is currently one of the most popular social network because it allows its users to upload their own pictures. Using filters and different editing tools, our pictures never looked better. Also, and this is key, Instagram allows us to share our pictures not only with our followers on the app and web version of Instagram but also with our friends and followers in other social media.
But, contrary to what you may think, Instagram is not just about taking and posting new pictures. Although it is true that the better the pictures you take and share, the more attractive your Instagram account would look, there are other things that need to be considered. This is where captions come in. It would be a huge mistake to underestimate the power of a good caption. What is even worse is to just not have a caption!
Although they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, an Instagram with a good caption is worth a great deal more than that!
In this article, we want to help you out by giving you some ideas, starting with a list of the five things that make a good Instagram caption and following with a list of 100 good captions you can use when posting on Instagram.
What Makes a Good Instagram Caption?
There are many elements that make a good Instagram caption. There will be a list of 100 suggestions in this article but, before I get to those, let me give you some information about what makes a good Instagram caption.
I suggest you read these before going through the list of the 100 suggestions, because they would give you an idea about when to use certain captions and when to use others. If you don’t find any suitable captions in the list, then I suggest you re-read this section for inspiration.
Here are the five things that make a good Instagram caption:
- Decide what effect you want to create. Different captions can give your Instagram pictures different meanings. The same picture may seem funny or cute with the right caption. Think about what you want to express with your picture and put this into words.
- Some people love to write long posts on Instagram but I would advise against this. Your followers are unlikely to check Instagram for reading material. If you need more space to write, choose a different social network. A good picture in itself already would tell a lot, think of the caption as the “cherry on the cake”, or something to clarify in case the picture could be interpreted in different ways. The important thing here is to keep your Instagram captions brief and to the point.
- Think of your followers. Think of who your followers are. I don’t mean as individuals. Obviously if you have hundreds or thousands of followers this is pretty much impossible! I mean that you should think of them in terms of the pictures that they have liked in the past and what captions you have used. If they follow you for your glamorous pictures, it probably won’t be a good idea to try to be funny in your captions. Or, conversely, if your followers react to your pictures with lots of LOLs or Hahaha, it might be a good idea to stir clear of making philosophical statements. Just consider your followers’ expectations when choosing a caption.
- Use your imagination. This may seem like an obvious thing to say but it is worth thinking about. Instagram is all about expressing your creativity so make the most of it. Of course, you are expressing your creativity by taking amazing photos so don’t spoil it by writing an unimaginative caption. Again, think about what you want the picture/caption to say (and yes, think about the photo and the caption as one thing)
- Be relevant. Your caption must always relate to the picture in some way. It is one thing to use your imagination and creativity and a different thing to just write something so “imaginative” that is not relevant to the picture. Make sure that the caption always says something about the picture. For example, if your picture is selfie were you look happy, don’t write a sad caption the will just confuse your followers. Also, be sensitive to people’s feelings. Consider if the combination of picture + caption might be read as offensive. If you think that might be the case, think again and write something else, instead. A safe bet is to use popular hashtags.
I hope these five points will help you choose the right caption for your Instagram photos. If you would like some specific captions, read on as the next section is a list of 100 captions that would fit most pictures.
Good Instagram Captions
Here is the list of 100 good Instagram captions. You will notice that some of them are romantic, others are funny, and others cute. We have included captions that could go with the most common Instagram pictures. That is, selfies, landscapes, weather, food, group pics, and a whole lot of others. Even the captions that can seem too specific can be adapted to other situations but changing the odd word.
- Je t’aime, je t’adore (literally “I love you, I adore” but it sounds so much better in French
- I’m saving all my kisses for you
- Be mine
- True blue, baby, I love you!
- You are the one
- Food never looked so tempting
- TGIF, amirite?
- Why can’t weekends last 6 days?
- Cupcakes, anyone?
- The only thing I’m sure about: I love you
- Puppy love!
- You’re my rock
- Give me your number, and I’ll call you for a lesson
- My number 1 book!
- Another day, another yummy salad
- Hello, Taco Tuesday!
- I lurve this stuff
- And the stars came out
- On the boardwalk, boardwalk!
- Never say never
- This I know…
- In the country of the blind…
- In God’s country
- Never been happier
- OMG, I’m so psyched!
- Not bad for a first attempt
- Forget everything else, this is the real thing
- Throwback Thursday
- Dis my piece of pie
- I’d much rather be in Hogwarts
- There’s a Storm a-coming
- I can’t believe how warm it’s been
- She’ll always come first
- Never lose that smile
- Never a dull moment
- So relieved!
- I read your comments with this face
- Welcome to my fabulous life
- Oh, shiny!
- This is my favorite misspelling of my name. Thanks, barista!
- Whatcha talkin’ ‘about?
- We’re insane!
- With us is always party, party, party!
- Where is everyone?
- Not what it looks like!
- Seeing this always puts a smile on my face
- My new car… I wish!
- I swear I didn’t eat all the cookies
- This was hilarious
- I can’t believe it’s been a year already
- Smile, you’re on camera!
- Only two more sleeps…
- Whoop whoop!
- This is my ride
- Hey, girl
- Can you figure it out?
- That’s what she said…
- Just wait a minute…
- I know y’all wanted another selfie. So, here it is
- Stupid cupid
- A rose, with love
- Hate me more
- Hot enough for you yet?
- White Christmas
- The ocean was so sparkly today
- Why do I hate Mondays so much?
- Blond me
- Netflix and chill?
- This bagel just made Wednesday 90% better
- That Sunday night feeling
- I’m saving this for a rainy day
- Ensemble number 3
- Only two more weeks ’till the marathon
- Café au lait? More like café olé!
- I didn’t realize how much I missed this view
- I got knocked down, but I’ll get up again
- At the gym on Sunday morning. Do I get a medal?
- Promise me you’ll never change
- You’re silly but I love you
- Um… I don’t thing it was supposed to be quite like this…
- I don’t mean to rub it in but…
- I swear there’s no photoshop. Honest!
- I feels like the rain is never going to stop
- I miss you so much it hurts
- Happy hour
- You know what they say: when in Rome…
- No pain, no gain
- Everybody loves a winner. Nobody likes a loser
- There may be no place like home but this ain’t too lousy
- Somebody should’ve told us to say cheese
- These sunglasses are sick, man
- Dude, where’s my pizza?
- Ooh lala! Hello, Paris
- Thanks, you guys! I had the best day ever
- Viva Las Vegas
- Isn’t she a classy chick or what?
- I am the Englishman who climbed up a mountain
- The more you know…
- Throwing caution to the wind
Many of these captions (probably most of them) can be used in many situations and could go together with a huge range of different pictures. Others are a lot more specific. In any case, consider if changing a word or two may make the caption more suitable.
For example, “Dude, where’s my pizza?” could be “Dude, where’s my burger?”; or “Only two more weeks ’till the marathon” can be changed to reflect a different time frame and/or activity to, for instance, “Only three weeks ’till the marathon” or “Only two weeks ’till the race”. Just have fun and happy captioning!