Multiplayer games keep topping the charts of popularity in the online gaming community. They are incredibly attractive to many individuals, simply because they offer the fun of online game playing in an intense culture of engagement both within the game itself and with other people. The fun of connecting with others online that share a similar passion for a game or two can be intensely rewarding, along with the bonus of mastering the game.
All kinds of interesting long-distance social friendships, reported by gamers, resulted from this type of interchange. If you are interested in getting educated concerning what the top 10 Best Online Multiplayer Games of 2016 are because you want to get started in this culture, or because you are already a part of it and want to know what’s popular, this is an article for you.
There is a massive amount of fun to experience when you enter the world of multiplayer gaming. And one of the best things about multiplayer gaming is that there is no end in sight. You’ll realize that with all the choices out there, even beyond this list, there is something out there for you.
Why Are Online Multiplayer Games So Popular?
Social Meeting. First, there is an ever-present social concept behind these games. You always have more fun when working with friends, and who doesn’t want to experience meeting others in the relatively unthreatening, long-distance and typically socially unthreatening (even for the shy) world of online interaction?
If you think of the social media boom and how people often use social media to keep in contact with each other nowadays, it helps to explain part of the fun of multiplayer gaming. There’s the opportunity to meet new people that already share a common interest with you the game, in an environment almost all people feel comfortable. It allows people to develop online relationships with others that have the further benefit of globalizing and connecting the world.
Since gamers meet people from all across the globe, there is the added benefit of learning a bit about other cultures as well as other people in different parts of the world. Really, with how interconnected today’s society is because of technology, this is good practice for anybody.
Play with Friends. If you have friends and family, you know that already like the game, you can join and play the game with them. This concept can help you get in a little bit of fun friend or family time with somebody, even if that person lives far away. It allows for you to connect with people you care about in a relatively fun and interesting way, and when you play with others, you start playing as a team. Most people that are comfortable with the concepts of teamwork or playing in a group enjoy this aspect. After all, it’s more fun to do something when you are doing it with somebody else and socializing.
Achievement Value. Multiplayer games captivate audiences because they demonstrate set goals for players to accomplish as a team. In real life, people are not offered anything that is as straightforward and concrete. Even when people do a task well in real life, they have the tendency to self-criticize themselves or put themselves down. This action is hard to do to yourself when you are playing a game, which is one of the factors making games intrinsically rewarding for individuals. When you complete a goal in a multiplayer game, you’ve accomplished an achievement. There’s no way to think about how else you could have approached the idea because games are so straightforward. So there is a bit of a high for gamers when they complete a certain aspect of a game. Because it takes practice and effort to obtain certain points in any multiplayer game, people feel good about themselves when they complete a part of the game.
What Are the Best Multiplayer Games of 2016?
So now that you know a bit about the psychology behind what makes multiplayer games so fantastic, it’s time to answer the question about what multiplayer games are the best ones from 2016.
Why would you want a list like this? If you think about it, there are so many multiplayer games out there; it can take many hours to go through and pick one out, especially if you are used to just getting started. Sometimes it’s helpful to know already what games users already enjoy, and what is topping the popularity list, because chances are, you’ll find the games entertaining as well.
- Albion Online. This fantasy game is popular because it provides a unique set of options when you are preparing your character for battle. Most online fantasy games make you reach certain stages or play with certain characters to use different types of battle gear. This concept is not true of Albion Online. You have the freedom to suit up your character however you want before entering what is called an “Open World” quest. The more quests you complete with your character, the stronger your character gets.
- Nebula Online. If you are the kind of person that enjoys space games, you’ll love this one. The game also offers a unique list of the different types of characters a user can play with, including merchants, soldiers, and diplomats. The decision is all left up to the gamer, adding for a bit of fun personalization. You get to engage in what are known as “global battles” while taking a cut of the money. Enjoy the graphics, too, as the galaxies in the game are quite eye-catching.
- Total War: Warhammer. This game is a part of the Total War: Warhammer Trilogy. It’s a great one for history buffs and helps users learn a lot about historical battles as well as historical strategies for approaching those battles. A lot of history is present in the game, so if you want to learn while gaming, this is a great game for you. Besides history, there is a lot of fantasy also present in the game, and its share of monsters. There’s magic to go around and talents like flying for characters.
- Doom. One of the most popular games of all time is back again, now available in multiplayer mode. Much like the previous versions of the first person shooter game, you’ll have your share of battles, targets, and monsters to entertain yourself with for hours.
- No Man’s Sky. With something like 18 quintillion planets in it, there is no end to the fun of exploring this game. This game focuses on survival strategy and exists basically like an open world game. Its process and development make it one of the most unique games that the world has ever seen.
- Star Citizen. Do you like Sci-Fi type games? Then this one is for you. The game has a creative cast of characters, including pilots, bounty hunters, and even pirates. It’s also got a one-time payment option, which is nice since most multiplayer games are subscription oriented for monthly installments.
- Dark Souls III. A strategy adventure game, Dark Souls III has a nice set of characters for you to select from for enjoyment. Some of the characters include barbarians, knights, and priests. The game is a bit more brutal than its predecessor and has extremely high-quality and enjoyable graphics.
- Camelot Unchained. This game is a sort of sequel to its predecessor, Dark Age of Camelot. It possesses an intensive focus on PvP battle scenes and offers a lot of unique and interesting aspects of game play for users.
- Crowfall. One of the standout concepts of this game is its presentation of disputes in wars as well as political alliances. Users get the ability to fight against each other to take the throne, so the game offers plenty of PvP interaction that is quite intense.
- World of Warcraft: Legion. Everybody still loves World of Warcraft, a game that’s popularity reigned in the gaming world since 2004. The game’s purpose is to defeat the terrible evil boss known as Illidan. Resembling the concepts most gamers have come to know and love from their World of Warcraft games, users are sure to enjoy the intense battles and cool graphics.
Enjoy the Fun
So now that you’ve had time to learn a little bit about why multiplayer games are so popular and got to review the 10 Best Online Multiplayer Games of 2016. As you can see, there are multiple games to select from when making your choice, so if one does not suit you, you can get onto the next. Sometimes it helps to get the advice of friends and family before you start your gaming experience, especially if one of your goals is to play with people you already know. If you wish to meet knew people, then have fun selecting from the games. You should find yourself immersed in a new world and the culture of gaming, ready to share and interact strategy with other players, which is half of the fun associated with online gaming. Hopefully, you’ve gotten some good advice on what games to consider for your next online multiplayer gaming experience. Now it’s time to venture out there and start multiplayer gaming!