Our iPhones have taken a critical role in determining our online identity and as such protecting them against online and offline transgression is crucial. Today, when you lose your phone you lose more than just a communication handset. Synced files, emails, photos, and social media accounts may be interfered with in case you lose your phone. To avoid such loses as well as maintain an online identity, one needs to employ the services of Virtual Private Network apps. There are several reasons why one should consider VPN service for their iPhone:
- Using public Wi-Fi makes one vulnerable to cyber criminals and thus the need for protection.
- One may want to access region-specific catalogs even though they are technically not in that region.
- One may want to prevent Internet service providers from throttling their connection without their consent among other reasons.
Choosing the right VPN service provider can be a very challenging task if caution is not taken. However, it is not a hard task provided one knows some of the factors to consider before coming up with the right choice. The followingare some of the considerations to make before acquiring any app:
- Security protocols: –In case the reason for acquiring an app is to keep hackers at bay, encryption protocols and tunneling the framework of the software is based on should be scrutinized. The protocols above are technologies that hide your data from hackers or converting your data into an unreadable form in case of snoopers.
- Server locations: –Many internet users employ VPN apps that curb geo-restrictions and thus access content that is either not in their country of origin or has been banned by the government or internet service provider. This can be done by tunneling the traffic to a server in the country in which the content is available. For example, if you want to access UK-specific content, then ensure there is a server from the service provider there.
- Device and OS compatibility: –Everyone would desire to keep their data safe and enjoy unrestricted internet access in more than one device. For this to happen, one needs to go for software that supports multiple and simultaneous connections.
- Price: –Although most of the VPN apps are free, factors such as premium features may influence you to turn to paid versions.This makes price a crucial factor to consider since you will be paying either monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually. However, before you commit to any app, make sure its features justify its price. Compare the features of the paid app to those of the free version before making a choice.
- Connection speed and bandwidth limitation: –use of VPN service interferes with the speed of your internet depending on the features of the software. The amount of bandwidth you obtain is also an important consideration to make. It is not prudent to pay for service from a provider who limits the amount of data you can transfer at a specified period.
The following are some of the best apps that can address your various privacy matters: –
- NordVPN– it is one of the most favorite apps because it employs IKEv2 security protocol. This protocol is 30-percent faster than the one employed by the previous generation. The software allows you to connect up to six devices with one account and bypass sites that have been blocked with no lag. There are currently at least 600 servers which are spread across 50 countries.
- Private Internet Access VPN: –it remains one of the most popular security software for iOS. It offers one wide choice of locations across the globe (27 in all), including some options for popular regions. The speeds are relatively fast and are compatible with 256-bit encryption as well as open VPN.
- ExpressVPN: –its servers are spread across 78 countries. It supports 256-bit encryption as well as OpenVPN. It offers no logging policy; this means that you are assured that the service provider would not log any of your online activities. It has over 100 regions to choose from with an option of selecting your favorite ones as you would like.
- IPVanish VPN:–it has more than 180 servers in more than 60 countries and thus you should not face any challenge in getting connected to it. It promises zero logging thus making sure that your online information cannot be used for any purpose whatsoever. It also allows P2P traffic which is usually blocked by most service providers.It is also free to try for one day after which you will need to subscribe.
- Tunnel Bear VPN: –this software is not only simple to use but also it is packed with cute graphics and puns. It supports 256-bit encryption and also allows minimal logging with the exception of P2P traffic. Its servers are found in 15 major countries. It allows you to bypass through content restricted by the service provider and also geo-restrictions.
There are other apps which can be used to ensure that the privacy and security of your iPhone are well taken care of. However, when looking for software, everyone has a particular challenge that one would love to address as needs vary from one user to another. Matching your needs with the features of the app you acquire is paramount in ensuring that you address the challenge effectively. Comparing between various apps in the market will enable you to pick the best one. Referrals and reviews over the internet can go a long way in helping you determine the best alternative. Also obtaining advice from friends will allow you make an informed decision.