Mobile gaming might seems like it can’t compare to PC or console gaming, but technology keeps growing and you’d be surprised how powerful mobile gaming has become. For that reason, you can find many ideas on what to get your avid gamer. They might not expect something mobile related so you can surprise them. With these gifts they can keep gaming when they are on the bus, in the car, or waiting in line. Nonstop gaming wherever they are.
Google Cardboard is a simple virtual reality viewer that works with a phone. It is a much cheaper version than console or fancier VR headsets for phone because it is made from actual cardboard. This viewer folds into shape and the phone sits snuggly inside. Gamers can then view VR apps on the phone and see it as a 360 degree image.
The cheapest version is the cardboard one, but you can also spend a little more for a plastic and much more sturdy viewer. There is even the option to buy the necessary items so your gift recipient can build their own VR viewer. You might want to be sneaky and measure your gift recipients phone to make sure you purchase a viewer that fits.
Here are some of the virtual reality games that can be played with Google Cardboard:
- Hidden Temple: This game takes you inside a temple where you have to explore and solve puzzles to find the treasure inside.
- Snow Strike:This game is perfect for the holidays because of its winter theme. Players have to aim and throw snowballs at targets.
- Lost in the Kismet:Lost in the Kismet is the perfect virtual reality game for escape the room enthusiasts. Players will feel like they are actually in the rooms while trying to solve puzzles to escape.
- Age of Diamonds: This simple app is Breakout for the VR. Do you remember that game? Where you had to break blocks off a pattern by bouncing a small ball? With this app, players do that in a 3D environment.
- Trooper 2:Trooper 2 is the virtual reality app for the gamer that loves first person shooters. Players shoot their way through nonstop action and try to survive until the end.
Tablet Bluetooth Controller
Most apps require tapping the screen or moving the phone/tablet to interact with the game. This really limits what an app can do and is one of the reasons why mobile gaming can’t compare to PC or console gaming. With controllers, PCs and consoles can do so much more. A great idea on what to get your avid gamer is a Bluetooth controller. These controllers hook up to phones or tablets for easier play.
Some Bluetooth controllers simply connect to the tablet or phone through the Bluetooth capability. You have to stand up your tablet or set it in some position so you can see well to play. Other controllers have a built in stand that fits your phone directly above the controller. This essentially turns it into a handheld gaming console.
With that new controller, players can take on many app versions of popular consoleor PC games:
- Hitman Sniper: Hitman is a popular first person shooter. While it isn’t easy to move a shooting game to mobile, Hitman did it by focusing on just sniper shooting. Players have to have some excellent aim to win this game.
- Bioshock: Another popular first person shooter, Bioshock is also available as a simpler mobile game. While the app has touch screen controls it plays best with a Bluetooth controller.
- Call of Duty Strike Team:Yet another first person shooter, this game actually works well with the touch screen. It was designed for players to use touch screen to move characters around and then jump to first person to shoot. The controller still makes game play even easier.
- Halo Spartan Strike:This app version of Halo has you controlling the many vehicles in the game and using them to take out enemies from a top down position.
Just like with computers, not all tablets are created equal. There are gaming computers designed to handle top of the line high graphic games. While there aren’t really any tablets billed as “gaming” tablets, you can still shop for the best one for a gift for your avid gamer.
Gaming tablets need to have a few things including an excellent system-on-a-chip (SOC), decent RAM, dual or quad core, and a large hard drive for downloading games. With a fancy new tablet, your gamer will be able to tackle some of the best app games on the market:
- Plants VS. Zombies 2:This popular PC and console game is a puzzler that pits plants against zombies. The newest game, Plants VS Zombies 2, is a huge step up. It has nicer graphics, fun cut scenes, and fast paced gameplay.
- Enter the Dolphin:This quirky game takes you inside a dolphin scientist that wears a suit. Players must navigate inside his body. It’s beautiful inside that body and just a little disturbing.
- Spaceteam: This cute game is meant to play with friends. It requires you being close to other players to use Bluetooth or wifi to connect devices. Players must then real and scream at each other to figure out scientific babble instructions so your ship doesn’t explode.
- Badland:Badland is an adorable game with beautiful graphics. Players control a furry little ball of living fluff through a bright and scary world. Players must think fast to survive and always keep moving.
These ideas for your avid gamer will allow them to keep playing games no matter where they are. Whether they want to try virtual reality, play mobile version of popular PC or console games, or take on the games with the highest graphics, you will find the best gifts that any gamer will love.
Here are few “app gifts” related ideas on what to get your avid gamer. With these gifts they can keep playing when they are on the bus, in the car, or waiting in line. These gifts aren’t for casual gamers, but for those where gaming – is life!