Clash Royale is a freemium mobile game created by developers Supercell, and is a spinoff title of the outrageously successful Clash of Clansapp.Currently available on iOS and Android (or Mac and PC if you know how), the game launched in March of 2016, and was met with impressive critical acclaim. If you’re interested in giving the app a try, then this is the bestClash Royale strategy guide you’re likely to find. It might not yet have the outrageous popularity of Pokemon Go, but Clash Royale is certainly worthy of your attention.
Whilst Clash of Clans is a straight forward strategy game; Clash Royale takes features from diverse genres such as tower defense, collectible card games and MOBAs (multiplayer online battle arenas) and has created a fresh and enjoyable game play experience, whilst using the characters and art style of its predecessor.
The game play is enjoyable and easy to pick up, although it hides surprisingly deep strategic elements. Players start each game with four cards (from a pre-designated deck of eight), as well as three towers. They must use their cards to attack the enemy towers whilst defending their own. Each card costs a certain amount of “elixir” to play, – a resource from Clash of Clans which refills every second – so players must carefully balance their needs on the battlefield with the amount of elixir at their disposal. A match is won by destroying the opponent’s “King Tower” in the middle of the battlefield, or by whoever has destroyed the most towers after the three-minute time limit is up.
There are three different types of cards in the game, Troop Cards, Spell Cards, and Building Cards. Some cards are much rarer than others.
These are the most numerous type of card in the game, as the name suggests, they will summon allies of varying kinds to attack enemies on your behalf. Examples include:
- The Archers – two medium ranged archers that deliver low damage (3 elixir)
- The Giant – who has vast amounts of health but only attacks buildings (5 elixir)
- Skeleton Army – 21 skeletons with melee attacks but very low health (4 elixir)
These have magical effects and, unlike Troop Cards, can be played anywhere on the battlefield. Examples include:
- Arrows –fires damaging arrows onto an area with a wide radius (3 elixir)
- Mirror – repeats whatever the last card played by you was (costs one more elixir than the previous card)
- Goblin Barrel –launches a barrel which cracks and unleashes three Goblins five levels higher than the barrel (3 elixir)
These create a building on the battlefield, which can be used for offensive or defensive purposes. Examples include:
- Bomb Tower – this defensive building card throws bombs at enemy cards within its radius (5 elixir)
- Tombstone – spawns a skeleton every 2.5 seconds, though the card has low health itself (5 elixir)
- Elixir Collector – provides the player with extra elixir, allowing cards to be drawn more quickly (5 elixir)
When you first launch the game, you will take part in the Training Camp level, which acts as a tutorial, where you’ll learn the basics of the game whilst playing against computer controlled opponents. Once the tutorial has been completed you can battle your deck against other players. By winning matches, you win Trophies (and lose them when you lose matches), and by getting a certain number of trophies you will unlock different Arenas, which in turn unlock more powerful cards.
Getting New Cards and Levelling Up
New cards are unlocked from treasure chests, which you can earn by winning battles, and are also given out for free. Treasure chests come in different kinds, with each type of chest taking a certain amount of time to unlock. Alternatively, they can be instantly opened by spending Gems (the game’s premium currency), which can also be used to purchase chests outright.
Gold, earned from treasure chests, can be used to purchase cards from the game’s shop, and – once a certain number of duplicates of that card have been collected – can be used to upgrade cards in your deck. Upgrading cards not only makes them more powerful but also increases your King Level, which increases the strength of your king and towers. Joining a Clan is another great way to get rare cards and receive extra gold.
Perhaps the biggest thing to be aware of in Clash Royale is your elixir. You must manage this resource carefully and effectively in order to succeed. Strategy is key, is it better to throw lots of weaker low-level cards at your opponent or to take a few hits whilst waiting for a higher cost card to be ready? There is no real answer to this, as it will depend not only on your personal play style but also on the unique game play situation you’re in. Basically, in order to be prepared for anything your opponent might throw at you, it’s vital to have a balanced deck and to tightly manage your elixir.
It is crucial that you memorize at least a few “counter techniques”, these will allow you to effortlessly cut through your opponent’s strategies. Here are some great counters to some really annoying cards.
- The Giant is easily countered by swarming troops like Skeleton Army or Minion Swarm, especially since they cannot attack your cards.
- Baby Dragon can be easily taken down by a single Musketeer.
- The overpowered Princewill be stopped in his tracks by a well placed
Likewise, playing two cards together is a great way to get the best out of both of them, these are some excellent combinations to experiment with.
- Playing Valkyrie with Mini P.E.K.K.A. allows the cards to account for each other’s weakness, as the former struggles with strong enemies and the latter can’t handle groups.
- If you play a Hog Rider, then use Freeze to disable the opponents defenses, giving the rider free rein on their Towers.
- Combining a Giant with a Witchwill allow the Giant to shield the Witch long enough to summon her skeletons.
These are just some examples of common strategies; it’s important to read your opponent’s moves and counter their plan of attack.
Just like its predecessor, Clash Royale is a really fun and addictive game that is sure to become a part of your daily life. Whether you want to collect all the cards, become the greatest player or simply enjoy the social Clan elements, we hope you have found this to be the best Clash Royale strategy guide available online. Happy Clashing!