What’s in a name? Turns out, everything, when it comes to the internet. How you represent yourself online means a lot these days; whether you’re applying for a new job and, along with your references, the potential boss does a little Facebook perusing to find you; or you’re meeting a possible romantic partner (or hook-up) who you met on Tinder and you just wanna stalk their Instagram…just a bit. We would all be straight up lying if we said we didn’t judge people based on their online personae. And the first thing you read about a person online: their name or chosen handle.
But that’s all very serious and makes us furrow our brows (it’s a discussion for another article, another day), so we’re not gonna talk about the importance of choosing your WhatsApp name or your Kik name (a really important one since you can’t change it). We won’t even mention Facebook’s messed up “real name” debacle from 2014. No, today, we want to have a little bit of fun. Because at the end of the day, your name does kinda matter, but your chat group name is just for fun. And with that, we present 93 Funny Group Chat Names.
It ain’t what they call you, it’s what you answer to. — W.C. Fields
93 Funny Group Chat Names
A recent study released the amount of time tweens and teens spend on their phones, and turns out it’s nearly 9 hours a day. That includes watching shows and listening to music, but we’re also thinking a good chunk of those hours are spent chatting. And how. And adults (between the ages of 25 and 54) aren’t doing too much better at a little over 4.5 hours a day. But who could blame us? We have this amazing technology to connect us on a global scale. Whether you’re joining a group on WhatsApp, Kik, Facebook or the group name is just for your own chuckles on your phone (my sister’s group for my mother and other sister is called “Girl Talk”), it’s nice to be in a group that brings a smile to your face. So, here’s a list, broken up by different types of groups, of 93 Funny Group Chat Names.
Family Group Chat Names
A good rule of thumb, if it’s your family and they can see the group chat name, keep it clean and light. You know your family best, though, so if you’re a member of a twisted sense of humor or a dry sense of humor, push the envelope a little. Number one rule? Have fun!
- The Family Knot — For the twisted sisters and Twisted Sister.
- Full House — Good clean Tanner fun.
- Peanut Family — Where the heck are those kids’ parents?
- Family Ties — If it was good enough for Michael J. Fox, it’s good enough for you.
- Devil’s Home — Did you ever see The Omen? Well, maybe your little brother is the spawn of Satan.
- Mad House — We all feel that way, even when we don’t live at home anymore.
- ABC Family — If your family is like an ABC Family original movie.
- Modern Family — If your is the opposite of an ABC Family original movie.
- Irritating Family but I Still Love — Yep. Says it all.
Cousin Group Chat Names
We honestly never realized there was a need for so many cousin group chat names, but then again, we’re not über-close with our cousins. Maybe when they stop popping out babies and we’re all a little older, we’ll get it together. But, we get it; a lot of people are close with cousins…just don’t get too close — gotta draw the line at a group named “Kissin’ Cousins.” (Unless it’s a group devoted to the 1964 romantic comedy starring Elvis Presley).
- World of Cousins — Maybe this group is not even devoted to actual cousins. Maybe we’re all cousins.
- Cousin Love — We’re gonna give this one the benefit of the doubt.
- Cursing Cousins — If you’re in the South, it’s Cursin’ Cousins and it’s just the way things are.
- Colonial Cousins — Everyone types ‘Huzzah!’ a lot in this group.
- Curious Cousins — Borderline.
- Cousins Indeed — Verily.
- What’s Up Cuz? — Once again, maybe not even cousins.
- Colony of Cousins — Kind of like a colony of ants in that there’s a lot of dirt.
Friends Group Chat Names
With friends, you can really cut loose and be yourself. Hopefully with your friends, you don’t have to follow Robert’s Rules of Order to get a consensus on your group name. If you aren’t aware of Robert’s Rules, we envy you. Whether these are the friends you commiserate with or this is the group that sends you innumerable good vibes and juju, give the group a fun name.
- Hopeless Group — Eeyores and Charlie Browns of the world, unite!
- Protectors of Superman — Even Superman needs protectors.
- Game of Phones — For the pun-lovers. Who die a lot.
- Silence Isn’t Golden Here — At least you all know the demands going in.
- We Talk A Lot — And clearly, call it what it is.
- Maniac Messengers — No one ever went wrong with a good, solid alliteration.
- Happy Good Times — Kinda sounds like it could be a restaurant.
- The Bluffmasters — This was the name of my little sister’s 3rd grade softball team. It could have been, anyways.
- #$$holes — So…hashtag cash cash holes? Sharp money money holes? Pound dollar dollar holes? I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to be!
- Area 51 — Strictly Private — This could also count as a special interest group, just sayin’.
- The Action Jacksons — It’s just fun to say.
- The Round Pegs in Square Holes — For those who just don’t fit in.
- The Geek Bank — Do you have an account?
- The Nerd Herd — Moo. Nerds rule the world.
- Fraandship — It’s the perfect blaandship. When other fraandships have been forgate, ours will still be great.
- Brainless Friends — I mean, if you’re friends are okay with this, go for it.
- Unknown Friends — Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold.
Special Interest Group Chat Names
Are you a connoisseur of some sort? (And did you get that word, connoisseur, correct in your 6th grade spelling bee? Just checking). Food, swords, Harry Potter. Just as there’s an app for that, there’s a group chat for that. Chat with people with your similar passions and stay entertained and engaged with friendly banter. Welcome home.
- The Chamber of Secrets — Solemnly swear you are up to no good.
- Boring Classes — Stop chatting while you’re in class! Oh. It’s boring? Okay, then.
- Ninjas — And all its various subcategories: tech ninjas, pirate ninjas, panda ninjas.
- The Talent Pool — As though the casting agents didn’t know where the talent was.
- The Foodies — Yum.
- Gossip Geese — A Gaggle of Giggles.
- Chunky Monkeys — Not sure if they eat ice cream or what.
- All Us Single Ladies — It could be for Beyonce fans or for actual single ladies.
- Facebook Dancers — Are they anything like Liturgical dancers?
- Bingo Wives — B-I-N-G-O. B-I-N-G-O. B-I-N-G-O and Bingo Wives was the group’s name-O.
- Spicy Republicans — Contrary to popular belief, Republicans can be spicy; just think of the countless scandals.
- Crap Collectors — For those who are on their way to Hoarder, but not quite there yet.
- The Now Married — Okaaaay? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Powerpuff Girls — Blossom = fearless leader. Bubbles = joy and laughter. Buttercup = toughest fighter.
- The Insomniacs — For your late nights / early mornings.
- So Called Engineers — So, maybe not actual engineers? Like civil engineers? Aw Snap! Just joshin’.
- Drama Club — So, perhaps, it’s for an actual drama club. Or it’s like the Real Housewives of the Internet.
- We Are Unique — And nothing says it like copying this name for your chat group.
- We Are Hulks — And will thusly, Hulk-out on you.
Dating Group Chat Names
Sometimes, we just want to meet some new people. And yeah, there are apps specifically for dating & hooking up, but you never know when or how you might meet a potential partner.
- You Me She — Can you say threesome?
- College Mistakes — We all have them.
- Naughty Professors — Some of our “college mistakes.”
- Unstable Women — Not sure if you wanna go there, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
- The Cream Team — They all drive Greased Lightenings.
- No Porn — You at least know what you won’t find in the group… or maybe it’s a cover-up.
- Cool Boys — They’re too cool, actually.
- No Girls — Another one where you know what you won’t find in the group.
- We All Are Still Young — So if you’re old, go away. Or maybe it’s saying Crosby and Nash just aren’t welcome.
Just Good Ol’ Fun Group Chat Names
All of the names on this post are ideas and several (actually most) of these are actual group names. Remember, the most important thing when looking for a group to join or creating a group chat name is have fun. Use the sense of humor God gave you. And if you possess none, use that, too.
- Online Hangover — We all know what that feels like.
- No Spamming — Also, no SPAM. It’s not real meat.
- 404! Group Name Does Not Exist — This one is the winner. Clever.
- Searching for Group Name — For those who are searching.
- What’s in a Name? — Indeed.
- Three Idiots — Three’s company.
- The So and So — Not to be confused with the Whatchamacallit.
- Etc Etc Etc — When you were a kid, did you think it was ect ect ect? We may have.
- Dumbest Group — Probably the smartest group, just really good actors.
- Davis Farts — Any group with ‘farts’ in the name is funny. Period.
- Stupidity of Susan — Personally, we’d probably have our siblings in this group…if our mom’s name was Susan.
- Local Losers — It’s get to get to know the locals.
- Green Gang — Do they love the color green? Or should they see a doctor?
- Charlie’s Angels — I bet the group creator isn’t even named Charlie.
- Helena’s Whores — Or would you consider this a special interest group?
- We can talk whole day without taking break — Also, we hate articles.
- Don’t Join — Please. Just. Don’t.
- Trash — Is there another group called ‘Recycle’?
- Don’t Check Ours — Create Your Own Group — Says it all.
- Free Birds — And those birds you cannot change.
- Free Wi-Fi — Where!?
- Life Suckers — As opposed to Life Savers; at least they have good breath.
- 24 Hours Drama — Not our first pick, but it’s right for someone.
- 24×7 Shows — Like Broadway show? That’d be fun.
- Let’s Utilize Precious Time — Irony. Cute.
- No Smoking — Where there’s smoke…
- Smile While You Can — Michael Jackson’s favorite song was “Smile” by Charlie Chaplin.
- Life is a Poop — Once again, poop is funny. It’s also the Russian word for belly-button. So there’s that.
- Assjackery — And the reverse.
- Nostril Lane — We totally made this one up, but it did make us chuckle.
- Group Name — Sometimes what’s already there works.
And that makes 93 Funny Group Chat Names. As always, please feel free to share your funniest and most interesting group chat names in the comments below. And we’ll see you around…maybe even in a group chat.